Monastery of Arkadi
The Arkadi Monastery is located 23 km from Rethymnon. It was built during the last Venetian period and it consists of a large set of fortress-like buildings. The most important part of the Monastery is the central church which has two naves dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ (the one nave), and Saints Constantine and Helen (the other nave), surrounded by thick courtyard walls inside of which there are several auxiliary buildings.
Eleftherna is the most important archaeological site in the prefecture of Rethymnon. The University of Crete has been making systematic excavations every summer since 1985 and the findings so far are many and impressive.
It was inhabited continuously from the 2nd millennium BC until the later Roman, pre-Byzantine and Byzantine years (13th century AD). Advantages of the place were its fortified position, the good climate and generally the existence of all conditions for habitation (sources of water, arable land, land for grazing and logging, limestone for building).
Since the summer of 2016 operates the new impressive museum of Eleftherna. The distance from the hotel is 15 kms only.
Kournas Lake is the only freshwater lake in Crete. Kournas Lake was known as Lake Korisia in antiquity, but later took its current name from the Arabic word for lake.
The lake is in a beautiful landscape, lying in a valley among the hills, about 4km from Georgioupolis in Chania Prefecture (western Crete). Kournas Lake is relatively small with a maximum length of 1087 meters and a maximum breadth of 880 meters. It covers an area of 579,000 sqm and is generally shallow with a maximum depth of 22.5 meters at its deepest point, while it lies approximately 20 m above sea level.
Samaria Gorge is located in Crete, in Chania Prefecture. It is the longest gorge in Europe, with a length of 18 kilometres. It has been a National Park since 1962 and it is home to many endemic species of birds and animals, the best known of which is the wild goats of Crete, known as Kri-Kri. Its name comes from the abandoned village of Samaria, which owes its name to the church of Saint Mary. During the Ottoman rule, rebels and the local population sought refuge there.
Panormos was previously a town but today it is a small village. It is located in the north coast of Crete in the prefecture of Rethymnon, 22 km from the town of Rethymnon. The village and the surrounding area have many attractions to visit. One of the most important is the early Christian basilica of St Sophia. It is the largest Christian basilica in Crete, a building of the early Christian period (5th century), excavated in 1948.